Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What I'm Reading: Nancy Drew, Cat Stories, and More

Since summer is gifting me glorious time, it's only natural that I would devote a chunk of it to one of my favorite activities - reading. After stopping at the library the other day, as well as shopping for a few books, and even digging up a favorite volume or two, I now find that I have, well, been reading several at the same time. Some of these I've already finished, others I'm reading, and the rest are either being reread or I haven't started yet.


Above I have a selection of three books - "The Bungalow Mystery", "The Secret of Shadow Ranch", and "Cheaper By The Dozen". The first two are Nancy Drew Original Mysteries. The thing is, most Nancy Drew books you see are the standard, neon yellow edged books. These are actually the shortened versions of the original classics, which, due to being overshadowed by the revised editions, are quickly becoming harder and harder to find.So far I have only been able to purchase one, (which is "The Mystery of Lilac Inn") but I hope to purchase more in the future. These two are from my public library, but for obvious reasons, I wish they were mine.
The third book is "Cheaper By The Dozen". It was published in 1951 by the children of Frank Gilbreth and his wife, Lillian Gilbreth. The Gilbreth family had a dozen children, and the book is a hilarious portal into this families life of the early 20th century. I have read and reread this wonderful book so many times that I've lost count, and right now I'm in the process of rereading it. It will never get old in my eyes.

As many of you probably have guessed due to my extensive photos of my feline companion, I have a slight obsession with cats. So that is why I have been reading these two books about cats. The first one, "The Cheshire Cheese Cat", I finished reading a few days back and am prepared to return it to my library. The next one is a book I recently bought, and it is actually two books in one. They are both about a gray Scottish Fold named Norton and his adventures around the world with his owner. I think both are a charming account of the lovable nature of cats, and I fully recommend both to add to your summer reading list.

This is one that I have only read the first page or two of. It is "Love Disguised" by Lisa Klein. You haven't seen this book in any bookstore yet, as it is due to be published in the middle of August next month. I did not  - I repeat, did not - purchase this. It is a manuscript, and the author hasn't finished it yet. Purchasing it would automatically violate a number of things, including copyright laws. I got this as a present from a friend of mine, a librarian. (For those of you who don't know, librarians are among the first people to get a hold of any kinds of books. The publishers let them get a free manuscript early.) Anyway, I don't want to say what the book is about, because, as said, the writer has not finished writing it, and is likely to change some scenes by the time the book is out. I can only say that it is about Shakespeare and his relationship with his muse.

So, that's it for my first 'What I'm Reading' post! Hope you enjoyed my commentary of all the books I've had my hands on recently, and I'll see you all in my next post. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment