Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: Revlon Lash Potion Mascara

I recently read a review of this mascara on Fleur de Force's blog, (click here to read it) and I was instantly hooked. I had heard quite a lot of negative reviews on this product, so I wasn't expecting any kind of praise on this mascara. Surprisingly, Fleur spoke about the waterproof version. She said that is was her fairytale mascara, and one of the best ones she had tried. Apparently, the non-waterproof formula transfers in just a few hours, while the waterproof version has amazing staying power. Since my current mascaras had gone long past their expiration date (three months) I decided to go out and buy this mascara. (Actually, there is an interesting story about how I bought this product, if you are interested in hearing it watch my haul video here.) Overall, I must say that this mascara is also my fairytale mascara. Read on to find out what is so good about this mascara!

As you can see in this photo, the packaging is very fairy-like, and although I would have much rather have a black or gold (or both?) tube, I think that this beautiful packaging instantly catches the eye.


The brush is a large bristle one that coats the lashes really nicely. It's big, but not so big that you get mascara on your eyelids, nose etc.




This brush is something that I haven't see yet in a mascara. If you look at it from the above angle, then you would realize that the bristled make a sort of a triangular shape. I rather like this shape, as it really is comfortable to wield a wand like this one.


This is how my lashes look without any mascara on. I'm sorry about the state my brows are in, but I've been trying to grow them out for a few months, and they look rather frightening. :)


This is how my I looked after one coat of this mascara. I don't apply much mascara on my lower lashes, but as you can see, there's a lot of volume on my upper lashes.


After another coat. It gets a little messy, but I find that is the same for all new mascaras, as the brushes hold a lot more of the formula, but it always improves after I have been using the mascara for a few weeks. Overall, I think I prefer using only one coat, but I sometimes apply a second coat after waiting for the first coat to dry. This usually provides better results than just applying it wet on wet.

I love love love the overall effect. This is a volumising mascara, and it adds a lot of length too. It manages to do something quite rare amongst mascaras in the fact that it doesn't clump much, or make your eyelashes look 'spidery', but it adds serious volume. What's even better about this mascara is that it doesn't flake, smudge, or transfer one bit. Since it's waterproof, it's tricky to remove, but that also means that the staying power is very good. Because of this, I think it's a perfect choice for summer, and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good drugstore mascara. You can pick it up for $7.99, but I believe you can get it for $4.99 in Target and Walmart at the moment. Steal!

No comments:

Post a Comment