Sunday, August 4, 2013

Beauty Rush: My Makeup Tips For Summer

If you are like me and are striving to enjoy the precious last days of summer as much as possible, then you probably have spent at least some time at the pool, or for some of you, at the beach. If you are a makeup person, you might be leaning towards wearing makeup during the summer. The problem is, well, staying power. Due to sun and water, makeup tends to practically melt off, and by the time the day is done, you're left with a melted face. Doesn't sound good, right? Well then, here are my tips for keeping that melted face at bay.

1. Keep it simple
Keeping it simple can vary from person to person, so if you generally apply a full face of makeup everyday this will differ from someone who only wears concealer, mascara and a hint of gloss. But either way you want to keep the number of products you use to a minimum. When I wake up every morning I apply sunscreen, powder, bronzer (because my face is always lighter than my body!), mascara and a little lipbalm. Later on in the evening before you go out I'd add things like blush, highlight and eyeshadow, as well as some concealer and maybe some tinted moisturizer.

2. Skip foundation
During the year, a heavy duty foundation is used, but in the summer, I feel as if I want to lay off using it. So switch to either tinted moisturizer or skip the step altogether! But if you don't want to spend money on tinted moisturizer you're only using for summer, just mix a little foundation with a dab of moisturizer to create your very own tinted moisturizer.

3. Skip eyeshadow
I love eyeshadow as much as the next girl but for daytime by the pool it just doesn't make sense...I would generally either go without or use a very light wash of color like nude or champagne shimmer all over the whole lid followed up by mascara. Then for evening makeup when the sun had gone down and it isn't as hot have fun with different shadows, crease colors, highlight, etc.  

4. Keep the sun off your face
My face without makeup is always a few shades lighter than my body as I never like to sunbathe my face or neck! Of course this will inevitably help keep your makeup from melting off your face but the main reason I do this is to avoid sun damage. I'm all for having a tan but when it comes to my face & neck, the fake stuff is good enough for me. Sun-loungers nowadays usually have a small panel which you can put in front of your face to block out the sun but otherwise you can use a wide-brimmed hat or sunglasses.  

5. Touch up with powder if you need to
A good quality setting powder is sometimes all you need to keep your face from getting too shiny/sweaty looking. Lightly blot this around my forehead/T-zone after coming in from the sun.

 I hope you found these tips helpful for your summer beauty regime. I have used some waterproof products, but it also helps to have these tips to maintain a fresh looking face throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment